Every winter we make a batch of soups. Chicken noodle, Italian Wedding, and Beef Barley are the usual staples. After running out of frozen soups we decided to try a couple of crockpot soups. Since my husband loves Stuffed Peppers we decided to try a soup variation in the slow cooker as it is just dump everything in and let it go!
Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 2 lbs of ground beef (could substitute with ground turkey)
- 2 green bell peppers, diced (we actually used one green and one red)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced (we make both the onion and garlic into a puree because some of us don’t like onion chunks but we still want to have the flavor)
- 2 (15 oz) cans of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (23 oz) jar of sauce (we used Ragu)
- 32 oz beef broth
- 1 cup of water
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 cups of cooked rice (we used a wild rice mix)
- Brown and drain grease from the ground beef. Place ground beef in the slow cooker.
- Add everything but the rice to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- With about 30 minutes left add in your cooked rice, recover and continue cooking the final 30 minutes.