Chocolate Kissed Gingerbread Cookies
Servings: Makes 5 dozen
3 cups flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 (1 1/2 sticks) softened butter
3/4 firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
60 chocolate kisses
1. Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in large bowl.
2. Beat butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add molasses, egg and vanilla – beat well.
3. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed.
4. Press dough into a thick, flat, disk. Wrap in plastic wrap.
5. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
7. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
8. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies just begin to brown. Immediately press a chocolate kiss in the center of each cookie.