Auntie’s Oatmeal Cookies
approximately 4 dozen oatmeal cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs or 4 egg whites
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 cups uncooked oatmeal
- 1 cup of your choice of “stir ins” (chocolate chips, toffee chips, butterscotch,raisins, nuts)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large bowl, beat together margarine (or butter) and sugars until creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
- Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well.
- Add oats and your “stir-in” of choice ( I like toffee the best. Sometimes we will do 1/2 toffee (or butterscotch) chips, 1/2 cup chocolate chips).
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes for a chewy cookie oatmeal cookie or 11-12 minutes for a crisp oatmeal cookie.
- Cool for 1 minute on cookie sheet and then remove oatmeal cookies to a wire rack.