Have a teen looking for college options? Want a college that is homeschool friendly? If you have one like my teen you are looking for a college that offers equine studies. Thiel College offers over 60 areas of study, including Equestrian Studies.
The Nuts & Bolts
Thiel College is a private, homeschool-friendly college, located in the small community of Greenville in Mercer County, PA.
The campus is a 90-minute drive from both Pittsburgh and Cleveland – vibrant urban centers bustling with opportunity for internships, service learning, educational trips and entertainment – and a 40-minute drive from Youngstown, Ohio.
Some of the aspects of Thiel College that homeschool students may find appealing include:
- Small class sizes – 11:1 student-faculty ratio; 70% of classes have less than 20 students
- One-on-one academic advising
- Thiel Learning Commons – for supplemental learning opportunities, such as tutoring and instruction.
- Internship and career counseling services – 100% of students complete one or more internships or a practicum prior to graduating
- 100+ clubs, teams and organizations
- Thiel’s invitation-only Dietrich Honors Institute offers a custom curriculum developed for its members.
- Students benefit from a robust enrichment program that encourages cultural and educational excursions to major metropolitan areas, as well as domestic and study abroad opportunities
Some interesting stats:
- 80% of faculty hold the highest degree in their field
- 95% of students live on campus
- 95% of graduates report being employed or studying in their field within three months of graduation
- Graduates often go on to study at top institutions like Duke, Harvard, Oxford, University of Chicago, Vanderbilt, Yale
In addition to their robust campus life, they offer online classes and Dual Enrollment and College in High School programs, as well as an Excel program for those students looking to elevate their learning skills and study habits as part of the college transition.
Thiel College Equestrian Studies
They offer such courses as:
- Introduction to Equine Science
- Equine Behavior
- Equine Nutrition and Feeding
- Equine Profiling and Conformation
- Equine Groundwork
- Equine Biomechanics
- Equine Exercise Physiology
- Equine Riding
A student who graduates from Thiel College with an equine minor will be able to:
- Understand the fundamental concepts in the equine industry
- Select appropriate horses for specific disciplines based on conformation, breed and behavior
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of techniques to supplement training and problem solving
- Account for the body systems in order to maximize equine performance, longevity and health
- Recognize common issues that may arise with horses’ health and soundness
- Judge a class of breed specific horses based on conformation