1 pound ground beef (or turkey which is significantly less calories)
1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1 cup water
6 Green or Red bell peppers
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
½ Cup Shredded Mozzarella
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Place the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 20 minutes. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the beef until evenly browned.
3. Remove and discard the tops, seeds, and membranes of the bell peppers. Arrange peppers in a baking dish with the hollowed sides facing upward. (Slice the bottoms of the peppers if necessary so that they will stand upright.)
4. In a bowl, mix the ground beef, cooked rice, 1 can tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper. Mix the remaining tomato sauce and Italian seasoning in a bowl, and pour over the stuffed peppers.
5. Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, basting with sauce once midway through. Sprinkle Mozzarella onto stuffed peppers and bake 5 more minutes to melt cheese.
January 15, 2013 @ 2:35 pm
I love stuffed peppers, saved this one. Will definately give it a go!
January 15, 2013 @ 2:49 pm
We really love the stuffed peppers as well and the ground turkey is so moist and WAY less calories! 🙂
January 16, 2013 @ 8:45 pm
These look really good. Going to have to try them out soon and try it with turkey.
January 22, 2013 @ 10:40 am
Now this looks good! I always believe children like to eat their meals in vegetable containers. Thanks for linking up with us at NOBH 🙂 Every blessing, Kelly