One of the many things we include in our homeschool as a life skill is typing – keyboarding. In this age of technology it is ever more important that our children become not only familiar with, but skilled with a mouse and keyboard and their typing skills.
To help you in your quest for typing – keyboarding resources, I have compiled a list of programs that I have come across. As with most curricula and programs, one of these may work better for you and your children than another.
Typing – Keyboarding Resources
- Roller Typing – Learn proper finger technique and key placement as you play through 20 different skill levels. Dodge sidewalk obstacles, do 720s on the halfpipe, and speed down roadways as you become a master of the blades and the board (keyboard that is).
- Ultimate Typing – is the only program to combine exercises and video – it’s just like being in a room with the world’s best typing instructor.
- Mavis Beacon Keyboarding Kidz – Brand new user interface that appeals to the tween market. 200 plus practice sessions, arcade room with 10 typing games and printable achievement certificates.
- Typing Instructor – Visit 36 destinations around the world on 3 unique travel themes. Choose from 20 educational typing plans or create your own typing plan. Lessons, test, and game challenges motivate typists to improve their typing.
- Keyboarding Without Tears – Used with grades K-5 and can be implemented on both iPads and computers.
- Typing Instructor Kids – Typer Island is an exciting place for kids to learn to type. Follow the route to the Castle, traveling in five unique lands. You’ll experience exciting typing challenges, learn new keys, build speed and accuracy, and play fun, multi-level games. Inside the Castle, you’ll find more engaging activities and games to help you refine your keyboarding skills.
- Typing Instructor – TypingInstructorWeb is a high quality program that is both educational and entertaining. Choose from over 20 Typing Courses for typists of all ages and skill levels, based on Typing Instructor, an award-winning typing program for 28 years, and recipient of the Top Ten Reviews Gold Award for its Kids and Platinum Typing Software.
- Typing.com – is a FREE online typing tutor & keyboarding tutorial for typists of all skill levels. Typing.com includes entertaining typing games, typing tests, and free official typing certification.
- TypingClub – is a FREE program to assist you with learning and improving your typing. Practice each lesson over and over to at least get all three stars.
- Dance Mat Typing – Free Online keyboarding starting with a lesson on Home Row.
- TTRS – Touch-Type Read and Spell is a multi-sensory course that teaches touch-typing skills to help children and adults improve their reading and spelling. TTRS can be used as a standalone touch-typing course and is especially useful for those with dyslexia and other learning difficulties.